I first read about this new thing over at Manalicious and then I’ve seen plenty of other posts, so I thought I’d try it out aswell cause it’s fun and interesting to look back at old screenshots and see how your character and you as a player has evolved.
But it’s a bit complicated as I’ve changed main a few times, so I will mix this up a bit and include more than one character, so it will be more like how I was and what I played back then and how it is now.
I started in October 2007 as this tauren warrior. I was new to the game and knew nothing about keybindings, UI scale, graphics or addons. But I enjoyed the game.
I hit level 70 in December 2007, started doing PvP and thought I’d try to find a PvE guild to raid with which I found pretty fast. It was a newly started guild so my gear and skills didn’t matter that much. We started raiding Karazhan and continued on to 25 man as we got more people. As we progressed, I learned a lot about the game and my character.
In TBC I:
- Loved running/flying around and exploring every corner of the map
- Spent most of my online time on off-raid days exploring with the help of “clever use of game mechanics”
- Played on a 17″ HP Pavilion laptop which was pretty good back then but I didn’t know anything about UI scale and the graphic settings and what fps was until the end of TBC.
- Learned how to use addons
- Learned all the warrior basics like stance dancing, what weapons to use, stand behind the boss, remember to use my cooldowns and that charging into a group of Alliance in a BG isn’t very smart.
- Learned that it was hard to find a heroic group as a fury warrior.
- Loved Alterac Valley
- Loved my funny looking Amani Mask of Death (screenshot above)
- Learned the hard way that guild drama is one of the worst things ever.
- But I also learned that you can find real and good friends which will become an important part of your life.
- First met some of the people I’m in guild with now.
So WotLK was announced and I was so excited for my first expansion. I remember the event leading up to it, with everyone getting infected by the plague and how annoying it was not being able to afk anywhere without becoming a zombie, but it was also very fun. I was lucky enough to win a WotLK beta key and after playing and testing the beta, I was even more excited for the new dungeons and raids.
I continued playing my warrior in the start which I still loved, but rerolled druid to get a raiding spot in a guild and raided end of Naxxramas and Ulduar as moonkin. It was new to me to play a ranged dps and I admit I wasn’t that good at it at first, but moonkin was so different back then and very easy to learn so I became much better as we progressed through Ulduar. Ulduar was amazing and still is my favorite raid and the best bosses so far.
But after we cleared Ulduar I didn’t really feel like I fitted in in the guild I was in and most of my old friends had moved to different server, stopped playing or we had just lost contact. I had some friends who played Alliance on the same server, so I decided to reroll and play with them. This was before it was possible to faction change so I created a new druid, got to level 80, geared up and raided with them in Ulduar, ToC and half ICC.
I had a great time on the Alliance side, but I missed playing Horde and as time passed and things changed in the guild I felt like it wasn’t the place for me to be anymore. I decided I’d look for a new guild on the Horde side and one of the first guilds I checked was risen or old Ash I was in as a social member in the end of TBC. A group of Scandinavian players, the most friendly and social people I’ve ever met in the game. They remembered me and said I was more than welcome to join them, so I faction changed and started raiding with them and I’ve been there since.
In WotLK I:
- Learned to play a moonkin
- Learned that too many addons is not good for my computer
- Raided 5 days a week
- Played Alliance for the first time
- Found out I’m Horde at heart and always will be
- Joined the guild which I’m still in and love
- Achieved something I’m still proud of like the Immortal title and Black Proto Drake, Bane of the Fallen Warrior title and Icebound Frostbrood Vanquisher mount.
- Became interested in lore mostly because of the norse mythology in WotLK
As Cataclysm approached I race changed to troll for the racial buff and to be an orange moonkin but I miss being a tauren cause they are my favorite race. I leveled up and cleared all content with the guild. I even got to know some of them much better cause of the 2-3 guild meetings they arrange every year. There is no better guild.
In Cataclysm I:
- Race changed from tauren to troll
- Started PvPing more
- Took up exploring again
- Got my first legendary
- Got many new friends in-game
- Had over 100k gold for the first time
- Became a better healer on my resto shaman in both PvP and PvE alt raids
- Got reminded that I don’t really like arena that much
- Tried rated BGs which I loved and got 1700 rating and Blood Guard but I’d still love to go higher
So I went from being a noob which for years couldn’t find a guild to be happy in to a much better player who couldn’t be happier with the guild. I’ve had 4 different computers, 3 of them being laptops. I’ve been raided with 4 different guilds. And I’ve tried many different races and classes, even both factions but I know Horde is my faction, my favorite race is tauren, and the classes I enjoy playing the most are druid, shaman and warrior. But I’m still an explorer and adventurer, I’m still learning a lot in both PvE and PvP, I’m still taking loads of screenshots, and I still love moonkin cause they’re fat, fuzzy, cute and funny looking.